Engaging the Community
Since its official opening in March 1912, HKU has been the pride of the Hong Kong society, and has as one of its core values the responsibility to enrich the community with the expertise and discoveries of its world-class academics. In the real sense of knowledge exchange, the University enjoys close interaction with the community, and proactively seeks to learn from different sectors of our society to understand how best to meet their needs.
Our faculty members are passionate about their subjects and keen to share their knowledge and skills with the community. The breadth of knowledge exchange activities involving the community reflects the intricate and dynamic relationship the University has with the people of Hong Kong and also the region, and the list is never exhaustive:
- providing services to the public relating to those professional disciplines offered by the University
- organizing awareness-raising programmes and forums on various complex issues facing our society
- transferring knowledge and skills to help rebuild disaster-stricken areas in the region
- serving on Government and professional committees
- serving as expert witnesses
- promoting arts appreciation
- enhancing human capital through continuing professional development courses
- enriching the knowledge base of our society through public lectures and media channels
- working with secondary schools to enrich students' learning experience
The University sees community engagement as a two-way process of exchange through which the societal impact of our research will be enhanced.